Continuing a Long Tradition of Care
Catholic Healthcare has started construction work on the existing St. Vincent’s Aged Care Site in Bathurst.
Once completed, the former site of St Vincent’s Hospital will be a 130-bed residential aged care service featuring state-of-the-art design and an aged care campus integrated with community care and healthcare services.
The aim is to construct a residential facility that is as ‘home-like’ as possible, with a café, hair salon, and a number of dining and recreational areas.
The existing sites and services will be utilised in the redevelopment.
The development project is well ahead of schedule, with overall completion anticipated by mid-2017.
This development continues a long history of the Catholic Church’s provision of aged care services to the community of Bathurst and environs, including:
- St Catherine’s Aged Care
- St Vincent’s Hospital
- St Vincent’s Aged Care
- The Macquarie Centre Aged Care
- Catholic Community Services
- Outreach Service
St Catherine’s Aged Care Bathurst was built in 1966 and was originally owned and operated by the Sisters of Mercy. It was transferred to Catholic Healthcare in June 2007.
St Vincent’s Hospital was staffed by the Sisters of Charity. The first patients arrived in November 1922. In 1998, the Diocese of Bathurst asked Catholic Healthcare to take over and operate the license and Catholic Healthcare became operators in July 1999.
With the closure of St Vincent’s Private Hospital in 2010, refurbishments were completed and St Vincent’s Aged Care was opened in 2011 with 28 beds. Some residents came from St Anne’s Aged Care Facility at Perthville and were joined by other members of the community.
Catholic Healthcare runs an Outreach Service from the former St Vincent’s Hospital. This Service includes various nursing programs, Aged Care Services, Aged Care Assessment Team, Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Dementia Advisory Service, Neuropsychologist, Diabetes Education and Dietician.
The Macquarie Care Centre is a residential aged care service within the Catholic Healthcare family. Built and opened in 1948 by the NSW Department of Health, it was operated by Mid-Western Area Health Service and administered by the Bathurst Base Hospital until 1985. Following the rationalisation of health services in NSW, Macquarie Care Centre was transitioned to St Vincent’s Hospital under the auspices of the Catholic Diocese of Bathurst. The Diocese appointed Catholic Healthcare manager of Macquarie Care Centre in October 1996. In the late 1990s, Macquarie Care Centre was rebuilt.
In May 2006 Catholic Healthcare’s Community Services commenced operation in Bathurst with “in-Home” services. From 2007 to 2011, these were managed from St Vincent’s. In November 2011, the service centre moved to 95 Rankin Street, Bathurst where it continues to offer “in-Home’ services like transport, meal preparation, domestic cleaning, gardening, personal care, social outings and more.
Catholic Healthcare’s Community Services also operates a number of mental health programs including the Day-to-Day Living Program in Orange from the former Mercy Convent in Byng Street, and the Mental Health Respite Program in Bathurst.